Tuesday, October 9, 2012

From Matchbox to Shoebox

When we got married and had found a place to live, we described it as a bedroom, a kitchen, and a bathroom. People would smile happily and say "what more do you need?" For a while, I didn't think I needed much more than that. Our bungalow on Yellow Brick Rd (seriously) was just what we needed to get started. It was complete with a washer and dryer, a propane heater, and a brand new, full-size futon.We were excited just to have a plus to be together.

We were content, for a while. Then came homework for me on nights when Michael wanted to watch a movie. Or God-forbid, a fight that left us wanting our own space.The best you could do was lock yourself in the bathroom. I took more than one unnecessary shower, just to get some space. But hey, we had a place to live and blessed we are to have had that. But so do Grandpa Bill and Grandma Carlita, who travel the country in their motor home.

Michael is a construction guy. He did ROP Construction in high school, and loves any project you will throw at him that requires the use of a tool. So one night, I asked him to find out exactly how many square feet we lived in. A few measurements and some math on a scratch piece of paper later, we found out we were living in......wait for it.......350 sq. feet. No joke. So on our next visit with Grandma and Grandpa (Thanksgiving, I believe it was), we were describing where we lived to them. Grandma then proceeds to chuckle and say I have 350 sq. ft.. in the motorhome. + the storage underneath the coach. Comical to make the comparison if you ask me.

So now one year (14 months actually) and one lumpy futon later, we are lavishly upgrading to 600 sq. feet with a real bed, a real closet, and space for a couch. You wouldn't believe how giddy my husband is. Plus it has exposed wood ceilings, which according to him were the selling point : P

As blessed as we were with the Bungalow, I can't tell you how grateful I am to have more space. I love having a real bedroom, that doesn't have a front door in it. I am so grateful to have a real, queen-size bed. And I can't even tell you how grateful I am to have space for a couch/living space. Our new shoebox verses the old matchbox is like a castle, plus it has a killer view. Kitchen is significantly smaller with less cabinets, but I have made it work so far.

We are still in the process of moving. We have to be out of the Bungalow by Monday so this week we'll wrap everything up.Until then, please keep me in your prayers...this moving thing has me in a tailspin. I am having a tough time with the change. Feeling guilty for leaving our current landlords for new ones. Struggling to find some of the furniture we need/want, that will fit in our budget. And worried that I won't get everything done in time. Fortunately, I have a rock of husband, and the most supportive parents in the universe. Looking forward to settling down on Hollow Lane. Just need some prayers and a nudge forward. I will post pics of the new shoebox and pics of the old matchbox for comparison when we are all settled and cleaned out.

Until then, God Bless!
~RB

No comments:

Post a Comment