Monday, September 24, 2012

Who are you to tell me I'm old?

Getting married changes your life. Period.

There is nothing that can prepare you for that kind of change, because everyone's experiences, backgrounds, and personalities are different.

For someone like me that was in the middle of community college at the ripe age of 20 still living with her parents, the changes are rather great. However, despite the obvious changes of sharing a bed with someone, living in a new home, and trying to figure out how to not only cook dinner for yourself, but also another, there was one change that stood out to me...starting the first week of my marriage.

Suddenly I was old! 

I hadn't been married 72 hours and people started calling me "old married lady." What the heck does that mean? If being married automatically makes you old, then no one should ever raise their eyebrows at me when I tell them I got married at 20. 

But, instead of accepting this apparently common theme among my acquaintances, I refuse to be old. I am not an old married lady. I am a young, beautiful, 21 year old married lady with lots of living left to do. In fact, nothing about getting married made me old, it gave me more life - someone to live with and to live for.

Believe me when I say, I am not angry that people call me an old married lady. In fact, its rather endearing....like I am a part of a special club because I wear a ring on my left hand. But I consider it something to be noted, because it was change I never could have predicted.

God bless the old married ladies that have inspired me to write. This project has been in my mind since the beginning of marriage (8/13/11) and now it is finally coming to fruition. I hope that listening to the ramblings of this young married lady don't get old. Come back and see me. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment